Monday 30 May 2011

Jamie's Italian - Gunwharf Quays

Sunday 29th of May - Jamie's Italian is now open for business.  Their advertised official opening is today (Monday 30th), so I did not expect it to be as busy as it was!   Who am I kidding!!!  In a world where everyone is super obsessed with celebrities and its owners’ celebrity chef status, you can expect the restaurant to be constantly packed. I'm sure it will be the biggest grossing restaurant at GWQ - especially with 300 covers indoors and 100 outdoors. 

On arrival I was given a pager and told there would be a 30 minute wait unfortunately, (so it looks like queues here will be a common theme), so I headed over to the bar area for a drink and to peruse the menu.  The restaurant only takes bookings for large groups of 6 or more.  

 Menu choices include Italian classics (like spaghetti bolognese, antipasti and such) and Italian-inspired dishes.  The smaller plates/starters looked far more interesting than the mains, with dishes such as stuffed courgette flowers, crispy polenta chips and crispy rice balls stuffed with smoked buffalo mozzarella and porcini mushrooms.

Risotto Milanese £11.95 promised creamy saffron & parmesan risotto with herby roasted bone marrow & lemon & parsley gremolata.  I found it was very one dimensional and I can't recall tasting the flavours of the gremolata (which is lemon zest, garlic, parsley). Risottos barely cover an inch in depth, so you don't get that much for your money.  This was my feedback to the waiter - a slightly larger portion please.   I think I made a poor choice on this occasion.

Unfortunately some of the prices are hard to chew, and although I would like to return again and perhaps next time order several smaller dishes under the nibbles/antipasti menu instead of a main course (as also encouraged to do by the waiter), for my choices would come to just shy of £20 excluding drinks, dessert and any tipping - wowee.  So potentially best part of £40 for 1 person.  I think I would need an advance on my wages!

I think the majority of the public will love this place going on the popularity of all the other branches.  The service is slow, so don't think you can pop in for a quick lunch.  You will need to take your time, so go with good friends.

Would love to get other peoples thoughts on the place.
Risotto Milanese

Truffle Risotto









2 comments:

  1. Hop across to Cuisine de Pompey and read my review from a few months back...but more interestingly read the comments which I've passed on to Jamie's Italian...no response yet :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I visited here just before Christmas on a thursday evening. The place wasn't overly packed and they easily found place for 2 plus a push-chair. I won't go on too much, but i thought the food was of a good standard, nothing exceptional, and the waiting staff were very knowledgeable and efficient. The big let down for me however was, as previously mentioned, the portion size... We shared 2 platters of various antipasti, and then i had a main of black squid ink spaghetti with anchovies, chilli and parsley. Very tasty, however the portion size left much to be desired. This place will do very well on the back of JO alone, its a brand that has appeal to the masses

    ReplyDelete